The Augustiner Brewery at Mülln in Salzburg was founded by Augustinian monks in 1621, who had been called to Salzburg from Bavaria by the Archbishop of Salzburg, Wolf Dietrich. A monastery was built for the Augustinians in Mülln on the northern slopes of the Mönchsberg hill between 1607 and 1614.
When the Augustinians died out in Salzburg in the 19th century, Emperor Ferdinand the Kind handed over the monastery to the Benedictines from Michaelbeuern.
Even today, considerable value is attached to maintaining the good old craft brewing tradition, such as the trademark of serving beer from a wooden barrel in stone mugs.
Augustiner Bräu Kloster Mülln OG
All images and copy are © copyright their respective owners.